Photography: Pari Naderi
Dance United Yorkshire positively changes the lives of marginalised and hard-to-reach people through high-quality dance training and performance.
- We create bespoke dance projects and interventions to meet the needs of different groups of people who are struggling with difficult circumstances – for example, youth offenders, people accessing mental health services, women suffering domestic abuse and disengaged young people who may have seriously challenging behaviours.
- We train dance artists to work in this context, exploring strategies for working with non-engagement, resistance, and volatility when delivering dance activity.
- We collaborate with frontline partners and bring our dance expertise to bear on the development of new ways of working that improve outcomes for the people in their care.
- We commission exceptional choreographers to create inspiring new dance works for our participants to perform.
- We publicly demonstrate our dancer's achievements showing our repertory at venues and festivals across the country.
- We develop new audiences for dance.
- We advocate the use of dance as a powerful tool for personal and social development to the general public and across the social inclusion sector, government agencies and the mainstream dance world.
‘Dance United Yorkshire’s pivotal role is to marry the professional contemporary dance and social justice worlds; to develop models of outstanding artistic practice which engage all members of the community. What is vital is that the company is artistically led and pursues excellence, challenging perceptions of who can produce exceptional dance and where it should be performed’
Helen Linsell, Artistic Director